Posted at: 12/08/2013 9:01 AM
Updated at: 12/08/2013 9:27 AM
Prince Harry speaks at a ceremony before the Walking with the Wounded South Pole Challenge
Photo: Image provided by Walking with the Wounded
LONDON (AP) — Organizers of an Antarctic charity race involving Prince Harry say they are suspending its competitive element due to harsh conditions but plan to continue the journey to the South Pole.
Harry, 29, is a member of one of three teams involving injured soldiers that set off last week on the 200-mile (320-kilometer) Walking with the Wounded South Pole Challenge.
Expedition director Ed Parker said the teams were experiencing "a higher degree of stress" than expected and will no longer race one another but travel and camp together. He said Saturday that he hopes they will finish the final 70 miles (112 kilometers) to the pole within a week.
Harry and actors Dominic West and Alexander Skarsgard are on the trek with teams from Britain, the Commonwealth and the United States.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)