www.WHEC.com

Trial delayed for Webster teen charged with murder

Posted at: 01/10/2013 1:21 AM
Updated at: 01/10/2013 2:31 PM

The trial of the Webster teen, accused of setting a house fire killing three of his family members, will not begin Monday and it’s because of what happened in the same Webster community on Christmas Eve.

Judge Vincent Dinolfo granted the request of Michael Pilato's attorney to postpone the trial. Jury selection will now begin on April 15.

Prosecutors say the teenager set his own home on fire on Cardile Drive in December 2011, killing his father and brothers.

Pilato's lawyer filed the motion to delay the trial, saying it was too soon after the Christmas Eve tragedy in Webster.

The same West Webster fire fighters responded to the house fire on Cardile Drive in December 2011 along with Webster Police, still mourning the loss of the two firefighters.

Many of those first responders would be called to testify in this case and the district attorney agreed that now is a time to be sensitive.

Monroe County District Attorney Sandra Doorley said, “I had been in contact with all the members of the West Webster Fire Department and the Webster Police Department. We had been preparing for this trial. I have since spoken to them after Christmas Eve and we just believe that a brief adjournment is in the best interest of everyone.”

Defense attorney Andre Vitale said, “Given how close we are on the heels of the same community, I just felt it was best for everyone involved to make the request to push this back a few months.”

Pilato’s mother and sister escaped the fire. His mother visits him every week in the juvenile detention facility.