www.WHEC.com

Fire starts in Farmington after homeowner heats frozen pipes

Posted at: 01/26/2013 11:31 PM

Walls inside a farmhouse in the Town of Farmington go up in flames and firefighters say it all started with frozen pipes.

According to the Farmington Fire Department the fire happened Saturday night on Sheldon Road. It started when the homeowner was heating a frozen water pipe in the laundry room with a torch, which caused the wall to catch fire.

Luckily the fire was contained before it spread, but it could have been much worse.
    
News10NBC wanted to know more about how you can stay safe heating up the house in cold weather if your pipes freeze.

"When you're thawing a pipe out you need to make sure you have an extinguisher handy in case something happens, you can give it a shot. Also be aware of electrical wiring. Sometimes when people thaw a pipe they do it blindly or just thaw the pipe and don't think about above or beyond the visual area,” said Farmington Fire Chief Phil Robinson.

The chief also reiterated the importance of making sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.