www.WHEC.com

Honeoye School Superintendent speaks out about hazing incident

Posted at: 02/06/2013 11:30 PM
By: Lynette Adams

The Honeoye School Superintendent is breaking his silence about the group of students who were suspended from school accused of hazing.

At a school board meeting held Wednesday night Superintendent David Bills would only say that the students involved made a "mistake" and committed a "violation of school policy."

Parents say horseplay after a basketball game last week is to blame.
   
This incident has also led to the resignations of the Varsity and JV basketball coaches.

Bills says he will not give out any details about the incident that parents say landed six senior players in trouble.

On Wednesday night the School Board accepted the resignations of Varsity boys basketball coach Jim Parshall and JV coach Jordan Trowbridge.

Parents say this incident stems from some roughhousing on the school bus after a recent basketball game.

News10NBC is told the senior players gave the JV players wedgies and noogies. And that the coaches were on the bus at the time.

Parents say the students were suspended on Monday for five days. They say the teams last three games of the season were also canceled as well as their senior night, which is a night of recognition of the senior players and their families.

The superintendent would not confirm that is the discipline for the students. Bills said some media reports about the hazing incident are not accurate, but he would clear up those “inaccuracies.”

When News10NBC asked Bills about happened with the hazing incident, he didn't have much to say.

"Again, when it comes to student privacy issues and personnel issues that's we're I'm going to stop and be very protective of those sources," he said.

Tuesday night News10NBC poke with the parents of one of the players who said the discipline seems harsh.

Bills did say the investigation is not over and the District will look at everything to determine the outcome.

One parent at the meeting Wednesday night said his son and his teammates regret the incident and plan to apologize to the JV players when they return to school. He said the incident was simply boys being boys, but he also accepts the District's decision.