Posted at: 05/03/2013 4:31 PM
By: Associated Press
A University at Buffalo student has been arrested after authorities say he dropped the butane torch he was using to smoke marijuana and started a dorm room on fire.
UB police Friday charged 19-year-old Alec Seidenberg of Ardsley with arson, reckless endangerment, marijuana possession and criminal mischief.
University officials say Seidenberg spent the night in a Buffalo hospital after the Thursday night fire. His girlfriend, who wasn't identified, was treated and released. Seidenberg didn't initially respond to an emailed request for comment Friday.
The fire broke out shortly before 6:30 p.m. and was contained to a fourth-floor room of the Spaulding Quadrangle on UB's North Campus in suburban Amherst.
Most evacuated students returned to the building about 9:30 p.m. Nineteen fourth-floor residents spent the night at a hotel.