www.WHEC.com

Katelyn Ogg: "What happened to us, could happen to anyone."

Posted at: 05/17/2013 10:47 PM
Updated at: 05/18/2013 7:32 AM
By: Amanda Ciavarri



A Chili mom, rescued from a house fire, says she has advice for all homeowners and renters tonight.

Katelyn Ogg, her two young children, and her mother in law, were all rescued from their home when a fire broke out last January. Officials say a postal worker spotted the fire on golden road, and called for help. She and others helped rescue the four.

Ogg was in the hospital for nearly four months and got out just two days ago. She told News10nbc that on the day of the fire,  she was getting her 4 year old son, and 7 month old daughter dressed when she smelled something burning. She went down stairs to check, and what happened next, was her worst nightmare.

“It looked like tornado of black smoke coming out of the basement,” said Ogg.
    
She immediately ran up stairs, grabbed her kids, and tried to get out of the house, but to reach the front door she had to walk directly into the smoke.

“Once I got my hand on the door I knew I wasn't getting out,” said Ogg. “I had been holding my breath trying  not to breath that in and with the first breath it felt like someone was punching me into the face and i just went down.”

Ogg's 4 year old son then ran up stairs to find his grandmother, and Ogg's daughter laying at her side. The 7 month old would later be rescued by a Monroe County Sheriff's Deputy, and was captured in a picture. News10NBC asked Ogg's permission to use this photo, she said it is a reminder of all the people who helped save her family that day.

“I will never be able to thank them, there is no words. How do you thank someone who saved your child,” said Ogg. “It can happen so quick, it is every mother's worst nightmare. I truly thought my kids weren't gonna survive it.”

The fire started with a faulty electrical wire in the basement.

Ogg says they had working smoke detectors, but they didn't go off until it was too late. And now she has a warning for others.

“If you think for one second there is anything wrong electric get it fixed, right away.”

Now, after 111 days in the hospital, Ogg is home and back to her family.

“It's been a very long, very hard road,” said Ogg.

And it's not over. Because Ogg was so sick and in a coma, she has to relearn everything, how to eat and how to walk. She has now started physical therapy and will do that twice a week.

“Relearning how to walk, it's crazy how hard it is to walk. It sounds funny, but it is. It is something I take for granted everyday.”

Katelyn Ogg said, once she has more strength she plans on starting more support groups for burn victims in our area.

The Ogg's had some good news to share. They actually just bought a home in chili, and will be moving in next month.