WNYT.com

Fire forces patients from Malta nursing home

Posted at: 12/03/2012 11:31 AM
Updated at: 12/03/2012 11:46 AM
By: Associated Press

MALTA, N.Y. (AP) - Authorities say a faulty dryer is being blamed for starting a fire that forced the evacuation of more than two dozen residents of a Saratoga County nursing home.
    
Fire officials in the town of Malta tell the Times Union of Albany that Sunday's early morning fire started in the laundry room at the Home of the Good Shepard and spread to the facility's enhanced care wing, but all 32 residents were safely removed from the facility.
    
Officials say the fire was under control in 15 minutes.
    
The patients were taken to the nearby county-run Maplewood Manor. It's unknown how long they will be at Maplewood.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)