WNYT.com

Brunswick fire victim doesn't have to pay $1,400 bill

Posted at: 12/06/2012 10:56 PM
Updated at: 12/07/2012 1:22 AM
By: WNYT Staff

POESTENKILL - The Brunswick man, who was billed for water used to put out a fire that destroyed his own home, is off the hook.

Poestenkill's town supervisor tells WNYT the Board voted unanimously to cover the bill at Thursday night’s meeting.

Fire crews from both Brunswick and Poestenkill responded to the call.

The companies were outraged when they found out Michael Pietro was being billed $1,400.

Brunswick even hosted a pancake breakfast at the fire house to raise money for him. 

Poestenkill's supervisor says the board also took action to make sure the town handles similar events in the future, at no cost to the homeowner.