Union skates to a 3-3 tie with Brown

Posted at: 12/07/2012 10:43 PM
By: Rodger Wyland

Junior forward Josh Jooris had two goals and an assist, and linemate Daniel Carr added a goal and two assists, as No. 12 men’s hockey (8-3-3, 3-2-2 ECAC Hockey) tied Brown (3-5-3, 0-3-3 ECAC Hockey), 3-3, in front of 1,217 fans at Meehan Audtiorium.


With an extra attacker on in the final minutes of the contest, Brown’s Massimo LaMacchia deflected a  Dennis Robertson shot past Union goaltender Troy Grosenick (25 saves) at 18:53 of the third period to tie the game at 3-3.


Union maintained possession in the Brown offensive zone for the opening three minutes of the extra frame, and had multiple chances to win the game. Senior forward Greg Coburn’s shot from the slot was stopped by Brown goaltender Anthony Borelli (16 saves), and Carr fired wide on a rebound chance.


Moments later, sophomore forward Daniel Ciampini could not finish a wrap-around attempt on Union’s last good scoring opportunity of the game.


For the third straight contest, Union found itself in an early hole, as Brown struck first on a 3-on-2 odd-man rush just over midway through the opening period. Michael Juola fed Chris Zaires on the left wing, and Zaires skated across the slot, beating Grosenick over his left pad at 11:51.


Union responded with three consecutive goals to close out the frame, including two on the power play to chase Brown goaltender Marc DeFilippo (six saves) out of the net.


The Dutchmen cashed in just nine seconds into their first power play opportunity of the contest with Richie Crowley in the penalty box for interference, as Carr took a feed from Jooris in the slot and stuffed a backhander past DeFilippo at 15:18.


Union took the lead with another power play goal at 17:02, as Jooris took a pass from Carr off the side wall and fired a low slapshot off the inside of the far post and into the net.


Jooris would add another goal at 18:19, deflecting a shot from the left point by Carr past DeFilippo to give the Dutchmen a 3-1 lead after one period of play. For Jooris, it marked his third career multiple goal game.


Brown cut the Union lead to 3-2 early in the second period, as leading-scorer Matt Lorito beat Grosenick from the circle on the power play at 7:01. Lorito’s goal snapped a stretch of 16 straight penalties killed by the Dutchmen spanning four games.


Minutes later Grosenick made a shoulder save on Matt Wahl on a shot from the wing and was clipped in the head by Wahl after the whistle, giving Union a power play chance. Grosenick was shaken up on the play, but remained in the game, as Union failed to convert on the man advantage. Union finished the night 2-for-4 on the man advantage.


Brown controlled play for much of the third period before LaMacchia’s tying goal, with Grosenick making one of his best saves of the night on a 2-on-1 wrist shot by Zaires at 11:31 of the third period. Brown held a 9-4 shot advantage in the third period, while Union outshot Brown, 5-1 in overtime.


Union will take on No. 15 Yale tomorrow night at Ingalls Rink in a contest that begins at 7:00 p.m.