Posted at: 01/14/2013 4:51 PM
Updated at: 01/14/2013 5:17 PM
NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) - Parents of Connecticut first-graders slain in last month's mass shooting have joined a new group in calling for a national dialogue to help prevent similar tragedies.
Nicole Hockley's son Dylan was one of 20 first-graders and six adults killed a month ago at Sandy Hook Elementary School. She says she doesn't want to have to console another parent.
She joined several other parents at Newtown's town hall to announce the launch of Sandy Hook Promise.
Group co-founder Tom Bittman says he wants the shooting to become a turning point where Sandy Hook and other communities come together and set a course for change.
Adam Lanza shot his way into the school on Dec. 14 and killed 26 before committing suicide as police arrived. He also killed his mother at their Newtown home.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)