Church theft, musical instruments missing

Posted at: 01/21/2013 11:37 PM
By: Dan Levy

ALBANY - An Albany house of worship has become a house of investigation for city police. Someone walked into an Albany church sometime Sunday afternoon or night, and walked out with virtually all of their musical instruments and sound system equipment, which has left the church in a precarious Pentecostal predicament.

The Power House City of Deliverance specializes in redirecting the lives of young people by pulling them off the streets and pushing them into music.

"We're known for our music," says Pastor Evan Majors, "We're known for our choir, our singing and known that we help a lot of the community, the young people."

Pastor Majors has operated his outreach ministry out of the basement of the old St. Casimir's Catholic Church on Sheridan Avenue for three years. On Monday he had to tell his young church members their musical instruments were stolen; keyboards, drum sets, sound equipment, speakers, and a projector, worth more than $20,000, were all gone.

"Their first reaction was tears," Majors says, "They asked me, "What are we going to play?" I could not give them an answer."

Albany Police are now looking for answers. What they've been told is that Sunday afternoon's service ended at around 3:30 P.M. and one of the church members came back around 10:30 P.M. After those seven hours, police found no evidence of forced entry.

"The church is secure. We only have one key and the one key that we do have was with my daughter in Poughkeepsie," Majors says, "So obviously the person had to have stayed back."

The pastor thinks someone probably hid out in the church, had an accomplice, and also a car with lots of storage space. Police say neighbors haven't reported any unusual activity.

"I've invested all my money into this ministry so there's no more personal money that I have," Majors says, "I don't want any charges on the people that took them because I'm here to help the community not hurt the community. All I want is for them to give us the stuff back."

By 11:00 P.M. Monday night police had no suspects.