WNYT.com

Fire department flushing sewer lines after reports of gas smell

Posted at: 01/23/2013 12:24 PM
Updated at: 01/23/2013 1:02 PM
By: Kumi Tucker

ALBANY - Firefighters are back on Central Avenue, after another report that people smelled gas in the area.

Tuesday night, several buildings were evacuated because of concerns about a possible gas leak around Central and Quail.

The fire department is outside the McDonald’s on Central flushing out the sewer system.

The street is open, and officials say no evacuations are necessary.

Firefighters pumped and flushed the sewers for about four hours last night.

Now, they're doing it from a different location.

“It could have been a car parked over a sewer.  It could have been somebody emptying old gas from a snow blower,” Albany Fire Chief Robert Forezzi tells NewsChannel 13. “Or it could have been somebody who intentionally flushed gas down the sewer.”

The chief says they have notified the department of environmental conservation, to help figure out the cause of the problem.