Union Surrenders Third Period Lead, Ties Dartmouth 2 - 2

Posted at: 02/01/2013 10:40 PM
Updated at: 02/01/2013 11:23 PM
By: WNYT Sports & Union Athletics

SCHENECTADY, NY –  Junior defenseman Mat Bodie and junior forward Kevin Sullivan both scored as No. 18 Union men’s hockey (13-8-4, 6-4-3 ECAC Hockey) earned a 2-2 tie against No. 16 Dartmouth (11-7-3, 7-5-2 ECAC Hockey) in front of 2,271 fans at Messa Rink.

Union, which outshot Dartmouth 39-26 on the night, allowed two power play goals in a game for the first time all season, including Rick Pinkston’s game-tying score at 15:05 of the third period.

Sophomore forward Daniel Ciampini took a tripping penalty at 14:41. Pinkston deflected a shot from Mike Keenan off the post, and the puck hit Union goaltender Troy Grosenick’s (24 saves) back and went into the net to tie the game at 2-2.

Union went on the power play just 20 seconds into overtime, but junior forward Josh Jooris had Union’s only scoring chances of the man advantage as he attempted to jam a puck past Dartmouth goaltender Cab Morris (37 saves) at the 2:14 mark. Union finished the night 1-for-5 on the man advantage.

Both teams traded goals in the second period, but the Dutchmen took a one goal lead heading into the final frame after Bodie’s power play goal at 13:01.

Sullivan broke a scoreless tie at 3:25 of the period on a play set up by classmate Matt Hatch. Hatch skated hard down the left wing, carried the puck behind the net and fed Sullivan in front, who beat Morris to give the Dutchmen a 1-0 lead.

Dartmouth’s Eric Neiley tied the game with senior forward Kyle Bodie in the penalty box for tripping. On the opening faceoff of the man advantage, Tyler Sikura won the puck back to Ryan Bullock. Bullock fed Neiley, who beat Grosenick over the shoulder from the circle at 9:25.

Mat Bodie answered for Union as Keenan was sent to the box for slashing at 12:08. Bodie took a Matt Wilkins pass from the side boards and fired a puck through traffic into the top corner of the net at 13:01.

Playing in front of a sellout crowd in the first nationally-televised game (NBC Sports Network) from Messa Rink, Union and Dartmouth played to a scoreless first period, with both teams pushing the tempo and creating chances early on.

In an early sequence just over five minutes into the contest, sophomore forward Daniel Ciampini fired into the chest of Morris on a 3-on-2 chance, but a long rebound gave Dartmouth momentum coming back down the ice.

On the ensuing rush, Dartmouth’s Rick Pinkston hit the post on a shot from the left point.

On Union’s sole power play opportunity of the frame, Wayne Simpson made a bid for his 13th goal of the season from the circle at the 13:00 mark, but Morris went post to post to make the stop.

Union will hit the road next weekend for the ECAC Hockey North Country series, beginning with a 7:00 p.m. contest at Clarkson next Friday night.