Posted at: 02/02/2013 11:30 PM
Updated at: 02/03/2013 9:26 PM
By: Lily Jamali
Almost a full day after fire broke out at two paper-storage facilities in Queensbury, firefighters were still at the scene.
Warren County fire officials say the blaze began around 1:45am in a warehouse on Big Bay Road and quickly spread to a warehouse next door.
Fire officials say no one was hurt, but both buildings were completely destroyed.
The facilities were operated by SCA, a Swedish paper company that employs about 500 people in the Capital Region, according to SCA spokeswoman Amy Bellcourt.
Over 100 firefighters from Warren, Washington and Saratoga Counties successfully knocked the fire down Saturday morning.
But they stayed well into the night dealing with still-smoldering paper.
"We're trying to wet down down all the remnants inside," said Brian LaFlure, Fire Coordinator at the Warren County Office of Emergency Services.
Frigid temperatures posed more problems.
"Every piece of equipment - once you stop running water through it - will freeze very quickly," said LaFlure.
Firefighters also had their hands full Saturday night trying to rescue fire engines stuck in a large pool that had formed from the water they'd used to fight the fire.
Bellcourt said she doesn't expect the fire to disrupt their customers in any way.
Anyone who was assigned to work at the facility will be reassigned elsewhere in the area, Bellcourt said.