WNYT.com

Police: Fatal blaze started by child lighting blanket on fire

Posted at: 03/27/2013 2:49 PM
Updated at: 03/27/2013 6:18 PM
By: WNYT Staff

GLOVERSVILLE – Following an investigation, police have announced that the fire that left one dead last week was caused by a child lighting a blanket on fire.

The fire broke out at a home at 34 Fifth Avenue in Gloversville around 9 p.m. on Wednesday, March 20.

 

Three kids in the house alerted their grandfather and got out but a house guest on the second floor did not survive.

An autopsy shows Larimore died of smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning.

The mother of the three kids was at the grocery store at the time and came home to see the fire.