Posted at: 05/10/2013 11:51 AM
Updated at: 05/10/2013 12:44 PM
By: Subrina Dhammi
LANSINGBURGH - We know firefighters are in harms way when putting out fires, but this is a different dangerous situation. A Troy firefighter had a scare after a man stuck him with a hypodermic needle Thursday afternoon.
Rob Ziter, also a paramedic, responded to the Hannaford in Lansinburgh just before 3 p.m. for an unresponsive man. It looked like an apparent heroin overdose. The man was not breathing and had already been loaded into an ambulance.
Paramedics gave him Narcan and he quickly came to. That’s when Ziter was stuck with a hypodermic needle.
Ziter needed to quickly go to the hospital.
Joel Burgess was arrested also taken to the hospital for testing, but police say he managed to get away.
Ziter had to start anti-viral drugs just to be on the safe side.
Police found Burgess around 9 p.m. and brought him back in. He was arraigned in court Friday morning on felony charges.
Ziter is doing okay so far. Tests are coming back negative.