WNYT.com

Two boys alert mom to basement fire

Posted at: 08/03/2013 11:01 AM
By: Cadence Acquaviva

Two young boys are credited for alerting their mother to a basement fire in their Schenectady home Friday afternoon.

Fire officials say some clothing that was near a gas water heater caught fire in the basement of the single family home on Kent Ave. Officials say the boys saw the smoke and were able to alert their mother, who called the fire department.

Everyone got out safe. Officials say one other person lived in the house, but was not home when the fire broke out at 12:15pm.

The Red Cross is helping the family. Investigators are trying to determine if the water heater malfunctioned.