WNYT.com

Clifton Park man believes moldy Chobani made him ill

Posted at: 09/05/2013 11:49 PM
Updated at: 09/06/2013 5:40 PM
By: Jessica Layton





CLIFTON PARK - Joshua Dewez is out and about, feeling a whole lot better than he did a couple weeks ago.

"Headache, nausea, gastrointestinal issues," the Clifton Park man listed some as of his symptoms.

It got so bad he checked himself into urgent care, figuring it was some type of bug.

In the meantime, Dewez noticed something strange happened with a separate container of his favorite yogurt in his refrigerator -- the same kind he ate the day he got sick.

"I noticed your news story on your website and came home to find my key lime (Chobani) package completely exploded," he said.

Now, given the Chobani yogurt recall, he says he has little doubt about what made him ill. The popular Greek yogurt company is recalling some containers after discovering mold commonly found in dairy may be to blame for the apparent swelling in cups, making the yogurt look bubbly and watery. Yogurt Dewez still had in his refrigerator fits the bill.

Chobani is telling customers to call its customer service team. Dewez says he's tried several times, but he keeps getting a busy signal. NewsChannel 13 called too, but received a recorded message saying it was after normal business hours.

Dewez says he isn't asking for much. He just wants someone to answer the phone. He'd like a refund. And maybe an apology, before he goes back to eating his favorite protein packed snack.

"It's an excellent product, when made correctly," he said. 

Chobani released a statement, saying in part: "Nothing is more important to us than the health and safety of our consumers and we are taking all of the necessary steps to uphold our very rigid quality standards."

The affected yogurt containers are marked with the code 16-012, with expiration dates September 11 through October 7. 

Consumers who believe they may have eaten the tainted yogurt can try calling 1-877-847-6181 or send an email to care@chobani.com.