Updated at: 09/21/2013 11:36 PM
(AP) LOS ANGELES - The Walt Disney Co. has announced that it would not renew its first-look deal with producer Jerry Bruckheimer, bringing an end to a longtime partnership between the Hollywood icons.
The 69-year-old Bruckheimer produced such hits for the studio as "Pirates of the Caribbean," "National Treasure," "Armageddon," "Con Air" and "The Rock."
The company said it will continue to focus on its branded properties from Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm.
"Jerry is one of the most respected and prolific producers working in the motion picture industry, and we have had an incredibly successful collaboration over the past two decades and he is a friend to many of us here at Disney," said Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn in a statement. "We will continue to work together in the future, and we look forward to seeing more of the films that have made Jerry Bruckheimer a Hollywood legend."
Disney said it will keep working with Bruckheimer on the fifth installment of "Pirates of the Caribbean." The release date for the fifth movie in the swashbuckling series starring Johnny Depp was removed from Disney’s distribution schedule earlier this month. It was originally scheduled to launch July 10, 2015.
The move comes after Bruckheimer’s "The Lone Ranger" featuring Depp as Tonto failed at the box office this summer.
"I am very appreciative of the wonderful collaboration and support I have had at the Walt Disney Co. for over 20 years and the 27 movies we have made together," said Bruckheimer. "The good news is we will continue working together on `Pirates of the Caribbean,’ `National Treasure’ and other projects we have developed together at the studio."
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)