Posted at: 11/21/2013 8:16 PM
Updated at: 11/21/2013 8:42 PM
By: Steve Flamisch
Defense attorney Samir Zaganjori (L) entered a not guilty plea on behalf of his client, Galileo Mondol (R), in Berkshire Superior Court on Thursday. Mondol declined to comment on the case.
PITTSFIELD – One of the three boys high school soccer players accused of raping a younger teammate with a broomstick was arraigned Thursday in Berkshire Superior Court.
Galileo Mondol, 17, is charged with one count of aggravated rape of a child, and six counts of assault. His attorney entered a plea of not guilty on Mondol’s behalf.
Mondol was previously arraigned on similar charges in Central Berkshire District Court, but rape cases must be handled in Superior Court, a spokesman for the district attorney said.
The prosecution subsequently presented the case to a grand jury, which handed-up the seven-count indictment on which Mondol was arraigned Thursday.
The lower court charges will eventually be dropped, the spokesman said.
Mondol posted $100,000 cash bail and left the courthouse with his parents. All three declined comment as they walked to a minivan parked outside.
As a condition of bail, Mondol cannot have any contact with the alleged victims or witnesses in the case, and he cannot attend his high school, Somerville High School, outside of Boston.
The restrictions also require that Mondol adhere to an 11:00 p.m. curfew, unless he is with his parents. Additionally, he is required to surrender his passport to the Probation Department.
Mondol and two 16-year-old junior varsity teammates allegedly assaulted three freshmen players on Aug. 25 during a team-building trip to Camp Lenox in the Berkshire County Town of Otis. All six teens are male.
Police and prosecutors have said one of the alleged victims was raped with a broomstick, causing persistent bleeding, but there are varying accounts of Mondol’s alleged involvement.
In the courtroom Thursday, the prosecution requested a protective order limiting the disclosure of “some digital images that were recovered” from the cell phone of someone who witnessed the alleged assault.
The defense agreed to the motion.
The prosecutor was not available for comment after the proceeding. Defense attorney Samir Zaganjori refused to discuss the nature of the images, but he told reporters the evidence in this case favors his client.
"Galileo is excited that the evidence is going to come out because he knows that it’s going to exonerate him," Zaganjori said. "He knows that the evidence is going to show he didn’t do it. He’s not guilty of these charges. He didn’t do what he’s accused of doing."
Authorities have not discussed the two 16-year-old defendants, citing their underage status. They were being charged as juveniles.