Man who suffered brain injury while running from police cannot eat, speak, walk

Posted at: 12/09/2013 12:27 AM
Updated at: 12/09/2013 12:42 AM
By: Steve Flamisch

MALTA -- Darryl Mount Jr. was unable to greet the guests at his birthday party Sunday. He could not blow out the candles, or eat any of the cake.

Mount, who turns 22 on Monday, suffered a traumatic brain injury three months ago while running from police officers in Saratoga Springs.

"He gets all of his nutrition by tube," his mother, Patty Jackson, told NewsChannel 13. "He doesn't talk. He doesn't walk. He's unable to communicate his wants and needs."

What Jackson wants is an outside investigation of what happened to her son in the early morning hours of Aug. 31.

Police have said Mount assaulted his girlfriend on a city street then led several officers on a foot chase, climbing onto scaffolding and falling 28 feet to the pavement below.

Jackson, a nurse, said her son would have a different pattern of injuries if he had fallen. She did not openly accuse the police of brutality, but she said there’s more to the story.

"I think there are alot of people out there that know what they did," Jackson said. "Whether it was their job or not, and maybe they didn't mean to do that."

Saratoga Springs Police Chief Gregory Veitch has defended his officers, maintaining they did nothing wrong.

"There are no statements that we have, and no witnesses that are known to us, that are claiming that the officers beat Mr. Mount," Veitch told reporters on September 2.

"There is no verifiable evidence that we have that doesn't support what the officers have said from the very beginning," he said on October 1.

Veitch, who has not released the names of the officers involved, did not return a phone call Sunday. Assistant Chief John Catone and Lt. Robert Jillson did not return calls.

Though the police department has conducted its own internal investigation, Jackson is pushing for an external review. The family has reached out to the state attorney general and the FBI.

While it’s unclear whether there is surveillance video of what happened, Jackson said she believes there are witnesses who are too scared to come forward. She invited them to contact her.

As for her son's prognosis, Jackson said the doctors don’t know whether Mount will be able to eat or speak or walk ever again. The next few months will be critical.

"He's my child," Jackson said through tears. "He's somebody's brother. He's somebody's nephew. He's somebody's cousin. He's somebody's grandson. And he's human."