Posted at: 12/24/2013 10:05 AM
Updated at: 12/29/2013 10:23 AM
By: WNYT Staff
You can make this with one kind of cheddar, or use a different flavor for each triangle, as shown. And of course, you can make a larger star for a bigger crowd.
5 (8-ounce) bars assorted flavors Cabot Cheddar or Jack cheese, cut into cubes*
Fresh bay leaves or other herb
Roasted nuts, mixed olives, or grape tomatoes
1. Cut cheese bars into approximate 3/4-inch cubes, about 30 cubes for each flavor.
2. On large platter or cheese board (star will be about 13 inches in diameter), place five evenly spaced cubes to form outer tips of star. Arrange more cubes in lines to outline five triangles. Fill in center of each triangle with as many cubes as will fit, then top with second layer of cubes.
3. Tuck bay leaves or herbs into star. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Fill center with nuts, olives or tomatoes.
*Try Cabot flavors such as: Cabot Smoky Bacon Cheddar, Cabot Garlic & Herb Cheddar, Cabot Chipotle Cheddar, Cabot Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Pepper Jack.
Makes about 2 dozen appetizers or 12 appetizer servings
8 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, Extra Sharp Cheddar or Sharp Light Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups)
About 1/3 cup Cabot 2% Plain Greek-Style Yogurt or Plain Greek-Style Yogurt
1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios
1/2 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
About 24 short pieces fresh rosemary (optional)
1. In medium bowl with fork, mix/mash together grated cheese and enough of yogurt to make mixture that holds together well; shape into about 2 dozen (1-inch) balls.
2. In another bowl, mix together pistachios and cranberries. Roll each ball in mixture, pressing in firmly to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Just before serving, insert small piece of rosemary in each ball if desired.