WNYT.com

Passerby helps rescue Albany couple from a fire

Posted at: 03/25/2014 2:50 PM
Updated at: 03/25/2014 5:53 PM
By: Kumi Tucker



Fire crews at the scene of the home on Sheridan Avenue.
Fire crews at the scene of the home on Sheridan Avenue.
Photo: Kumi Tucker / WNYT

ALBANY - Ken Radley rushed to help when he saw smoke as he was driving by Sheridan Avenue in Albany on a job for Colonie Mechanical.

"I was driving to get parts for a job I was on, I was driving down Henry Johnson Boulevard, saw smoke just billowing out of the house," he said. "I called 9-1-1 and ran in the house, started helping people out. I help the one lady out. She was gathering her things and I basically just dragged her out."

An officer was right behind and helped the man in the apartment.

Firefighters found heavy fire and smoke coming from the second floor of the house on Sheridan Avenue, near Henry Johnson Boulevard in Albany.

The couple lived upstairs. Firefighters say the downstairs apartment was vacant.

"We had a report that somebody was trapped on the first floor," said Albany Fire Chief Warren Abriel. "We checked that out, we checked the second floor, and found everybody had gotten out. The second floor was occupied at the time. It appears that it may have been unattended cooking, but it's still under investigation."

The building next door had damage near the roof. Firefighters say the fire almost spread to that house, but they were able to stop it.

Neighbors left their homes, too.

"I was at the store and I saw a lot of smoke down here, so my friend said, 'Your sister lives down at the corner, it's by the corner,' so I ran down here and got my sister and the kids out of the house," said Earl Alford of Albany. "I knocked upstairs at the neighbor, told him to come down before it spreads, because it's spreading next door."

Radley explained why he went into that burning building.

"I hope somebody would do the same for me," he said.