Posted at: 05/16/2014 11:45 PM
By: Dan Levy
COHOES - As the theatrical adage goes: The show must go On! And it did Friday night at the Cohoes Music Hall.
That the performers were even able to take the stage Friday night was a tribute to their professional perserverence, but also a final product of proficient electrical engineers.
After finding numerous problems with the 140 year old building's electrical wiring on Thursday afternoon, city codes inspectors felt they had no choice but to shut the place down.
"It has been a succession of highs and lows in the last 24 hours," says Jim Charles, artistic director for C-R Productions.
Charles had to meet patrons at the door Thursday night to tell them they had to cancel that night's performance of Little Shop of Horrors, a predicament that came after three cast members were sick last week.
"We had to cancel all of last week's performances," said Tony Rivera, managing director for Little Shop, "I really think the show is cursed."
Cohoes Mayor George Primeau wasn't thinking about curses, his chief concern was safety, which is why he stopped by at the theater Friday afternoon to personally inspect the new wiring.
"Jim and Tony were concerned about it as was I," Primeau said, "We want to make sure it's perfectly safe and it is. It's right up to speed now."
Up to speed meant that the show that must go on, did go on. Jim and Tony conveyed their heartfelt appreciation to their patrons prior to Friday's show.
When we first walked out, just the response, you can feel the love in the theater," Charles said, "After eleven years, we're proud of what we do."
"We're really loved and really care for," Rivera added. "People really understand. No one mentioned that word REFUND. They said we'll be there when ever this show happened."
Because of the sickness and faulty wiring, Jim and Tony lost six out of ten performances of Little Shop of Horrors, the final show of their season.
There are three performances left: Saturday at 3:00 P.M. and 8:00 P.M. And Sunday at 3:00 P.M.