Music and mud in Saugerties

Posted at: 07/14/2014 1:25 PM
Updated at: 07/14/2014 6:11 PM
By: Kumi Tucker

The scene on Monday, as crews continue removing cars that were stuck in the mud.
The scene on Monday, as crews continue removing cars that were stuck in the mud.
Photo: Kumi Tucker / WNYT

SAUGERTIES - The three-day Hudson Project music festival in Saugerties ended Sunday night ahead of schedule because of the threat of severe weather.

Hundreds of people got stuck and stranded in the mud.  Some were still waiting to get towed Monday afternoon.

Many people said they had a great time until last night's cancellation.  Tens of thousands of people were at the festival.

But some said the overnight was madness in the mud.  Kyle Parker and Callie Kohler of Vermont slept in the car.

"We left about nine o'clock last night and we just got out, it's like two o'clock," said Parker.  "We've been in there for 16 hours.  The farmers are doing a great job."

"They're the only ones helping, actually," said Kohler. "We've only seen two staff people actually working and helping us.  It's only been the farmers and they're doing an awesome job."

There was a lot of mud today at the Winston Farm in Saugerties and people lined up, waiting to get their cars pulled out by tractors and tow trucks.

"It started when the first rainstorm came and they told people they had to get to the parking lot.  Then they closed gates and they wouldn't let us get to our cars, so we left our campsite, but we couldn't get out of the festival-grounds, so we were stuck in the rainstorm," said a man from Utica who said he goes by the name of Bucket.

The concert organizers say Sunday night they evacuated the concert site at about 4:45 p.m., then later cancelled the rest of the show at eight o'clock because of the threat of severe weather.

"Right before that they said that they were going to have the show back on," said Robin De Freitas, who traveled to Saugerties from Illinois for the festival.  "So then we grabbed the rest of the stuff, came back out with everything else and the rain just kept coming and coming.  Cars were going deeper, deeper, deeper the whole time. It was insane. You could not have gotten out of the car and walked back there to get any type of help."

"They wouldn't give us water or anything and I was so dehydrated," said Sara Cranmer, who was with De Freitas.  "He was going to get a tractor and he was going to find me food.  I was sitting in the car short of breath, dizzy, my feet were falling asleep."

"It was a really good time until the last day when they canceled all the music for a little bit of rain," said Ricky Krause, also of Illinois.  "I thought it was rain or shine, personally, but I had a good time either way.  Good people, great food, good music."

Krause and the others were facing another fifteen hours or so in the car for their trip back home.

Sunday night, the Red Cross set up a shelter where some people stayed and others got food and water.

The concert organizers say they set up a warm-up tent and their medical tent remained open.  They also said they passed out water, box lunches and sunscreen.

In 1994, the Woodstock 25th anniversary concert was held at the Winston Farm.