Posted at: 08/07/2014 12:03 PM
Updated at: 08/07/2014 7:09 PM
By: WNYT Staff
Crews work to put out a fire on Route 9H in Claverack on Thursday.
Photo: Lance Wheeler
CLAVERACK - An outbuilding, that didn't appear to have electricity running to it, caught fire early Thursday morning and seriously injured a woman who lives on the property.
A passerby called 911 around 6:30 a.m. after seeing flames shooting up from behind a house along 9H and 23 in Claverack.
The fire wasn't in the house, however, it was raging in a 12x12 shed behind the home that, upon investigation, appeared to have lawn and gardening equipment stored in it.
It's unclear how the woman, said to be in her 50s and who reportedly lived alone, suffered from burns over 90% of her body.
"Greenport Rescue Paramedics transported her to the Greenport Rescue building where they landed a helicopter and she was flown to Westchester County Medical Center," explains Michael Cozzolino, the fire chief at AE Shaw Fire Department.
In addition to local authorities, the NYSP and NYS Fire Marshals were called in to investigate and they spend Thursday sifting through the rubble and the surrounding property.
"Because it was a serious injury, at this point serious injury, that's the protocol we put into place," adds Cozzolino.
According to the NYSP at Troop K, the victim is in stable condition and an interview with her, when she's healthy, will be part of the investigation.